Reading & Writing Collective Intelligence Group

Reading for Transition to Post Secondary

Picture of Sherry Hjelle
Reading for Transition to Post Secondary
by Sherry Hjelle - Friday, 27 March 2009, 1:16 PM

Anyone who was not able to attend Kristine Kelly's workshop at the NW Regional needs to take any opportunity s/he has to attend at another regional or summer institute. It was very helpful.
Picture of dianne lapka
Re: Reading for Transition to Post Secondary
by dianne lapka - Saturday, 28 March 2009, 3:39 PM

A full day or 2 days of a workshop would be nice.  It would be nice to concentrate and practice on a skill--say teaching summarizing for a couple hours--- then have a break and go on to another skill. She does a wonderful job in her workshops but alway so much to cover and not enough time.  I feel that this type of a workshop would be immensely beneficial for our students (and their teachers). It would give teachers wonderful tools to pass onto students so they are set not to fail in their college experience. I feel her workshops are diverse enough that larger and smaller sites can come away with ideas they can use.
Picture of Kirsten Fuglseth
by Kirsten Fuglseth - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 12:24 PM

Hi Diane...

I agree that  it might be a good idea to have a specific full day workshop, dedicated specifically to reading instruction.  (Similar to an all day technology workshop.)  I would be willing to work at putting something like this together, however I would like more suggestions from the field on the following:

• When?  What time of year is best for such a training - early summer, late summer, fall...? 
  • Location suggestions?  (Maybe back at the Lodge on Lake Detroit?  I have also held small in-services at Ruttger's Birchmont Lodge in Bemidji and the Inn at Maple Crossing near Mentor, MN.)
  • I am not a reading teacher.  What specific topics can you suggest?  I could look for presenters (like Kristine) if I know of the topics that interest reading teachers the most.  One that has been suggested is alphabetics.  You have suggested summarizing.  Any others?
  • Are there particular presenters that anyone has seen in the past that I should contact?

Please be as specific as possible in your replies. Thanks.

Picture of Sherry Hjelle
by Sherry Hjelle - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 7:21 PM

Kristen,

I would like help in teaching inference and analysis in an understandable way.  I haven't encountered anyone with really low reading skills; so I'm more interested in teaching skills needed for the GED and beyond.

Fall would probably be best.  I'd love Bemidji or Mentor, but Detroit Lakes is fine.  I'd like to learn more from Kristine.

Sherry

Picture of dianne lapka
by dianne lapka - Thursday, 2 April 2009, 7:24 PM

If strategies are taught, I would like to see possible a grade 3 or 5 on up.  I feel it's like math and we need to have those beginning skills down pat and grow from there.  Maybe pick just 2 or 3 skills and have a workshop on those.  If it works well have a follow-up workshop.  Maybe Kristine could even suggest ones she feels are most important for someone planning on futher education and we could concentrate on those first.