GED/GEDi Collective Intelligence Group

GED-I and GED summary

Picture of dianne lapka
GED-I and GED summary
by dianne lapka - Saturday, 28 March 2009, 3:21 PM

GED-I----Students do need to have a higher reading level (8+ using TABE A) but some still having voc. problems at a frustration level with the readings.  It is a good prep for college bound students. Students discover if online learning is for them. Sometimes instructor needs to help quide this discovery.  We can use lessons from with our regular students.

For GED-I and Mind Quest-- When looking over students responses should grammar always be corrected?  Modeling good grammar should be done when going over the academic parts but not always picking to pieces what the student has written.  Felt a much less formal grammar was okay when just keepimg in touch with students. Teachers have to be on their toes because no spell check or grammar check.  Can be intimidating at times.

GED----Clearbrook is using MindQuest.  Having good results.  Feels it is a very good tool for college prep.  This has sample college classes students can try.  Very eye opening.  Breakthroughs in Math from New Reader's Press was found to be a good math text-check it out. Wadena uses ABLE.  Discussed similarities with it and TABE.  If a student would transfer into a program with an ABLE test and leveled, could this student be post tested using a TABE test?  They both have a grade equivalency scoring. We felt both tests are holding true.   Believe GED can now be used to show a level change.  Check with program managers. Discussed MnScu bill and believe this is no longer a concern.  College instructors would rather have students prepared.  Frustrating for them also.  Led to a discussion concerning---Are we doing our students a disservice leading them to believe they are ready for college once they get their GED?  Should we be promoting (being more positive) about the developmental courses offered?  Explain we can raise skill but they may need to still take one of the higher developmental courses and this would be a benefit for them. The college setting is different than most GED classrooms. College courses are difficult and often beyond the GED level. Students need to be taught when and how to get help if they are having problems with their college classes.  They need to know about the resource room and to visit with their professors if class is not going well. Talked about the orientation process.  Set days and time are working well for sites able to do this.  A site stresses no age waivers done until 12 hours are completed.  If testing high time is spent in different ways, peer tutoring, computer skills, ISEEK, writing, higher math and grammar skills than needed for testing.  Also at one site no retests until they spend class time and bring back a signed form when registering again. What do you do with students who are really low or low and will never achieve their GED?  Let them know that there are no guarentees same as in life. Try to set attainable goals so they can achieve some growth.  This is tough in smaller to mid size communities because no where else for them to go.  Also so many of the jobs are requiring a GED. Use volunteers for one on one if possible.

I appoligize in advance to the group if I have forgotten or misrepresented anything we discussed. 

Picture of Kirsten Fuglseth
Re: GED-I and GED summary
by Kirsten Fuglseth - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 12:50 PM

Concerning the following comment in the post:

"Believe GED can now be used to show a level change.  Check with program managers."

I believe what you are thinking about is the following situations:

Completion of the High ASE Level is attainment of a secondary credential or passing the GED tests.  Per Todd Wagner, this means you CAN have a level change for students who complete the High ASE Level in the following situations:

1) The student had an Entry level of High Secondary Ed (determined by a pre-test) AND successfully complete the entire GED battery or earned a high school diploma. 

• The number of level changes would be "1".
  • The Exit level would be High Secondary Ed (since there is no higher level available).

2) During the academic year, the student had an Entry level BELOW High Secondary Ed (determined by a pre-test) AND had a post-test that showed he progressed to be working in the High Secondary Ed level AND successfully completed the entire GED battery or earned a high school diploma.

• The number of level changes would be "2 or more".
  • The exit level would be High Secondary Ed (since there is no higher level available).