Basic Computer Skills Curriculum & Resources Discussion

Resource Sharing

Susan WB
Resource Sharing
by Susan Wetenkamp-Brandt - Monday, 30 March 2009, 10:40 AM

Hello!

In case you weren't able to attend the Basic Computer Skills Curriculum workshop last Friday, but you would like to see some of the resources we used, go to:

www.theMLC.org/compskills

Everything should be linked there except the Power Point slide show, which I will add soon.

If you would like to use the learner needs assessment (called "Computer Skills Survey"), please let me know and I will share the original Google docs form with you.

If you know about other resources for planning a computer curriculum (online learning modules, sharable lesson plans, competency lists, needs assessment forms, etc.) please share those with us here.

Thanks!

Susan WB

Traci Pederson
Re: Resource Sharing
by Traci Pederson - Tuesday, 31 March 2009, 8:29 PM

Here is a hands on typing site that might seem childish but, most students do like it! big grin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/

Traci Pederson
by Traci Pederson - Tuesday, 31 March 2009, 8:35 PM

Here is another fun site that I use for keyboarding with my ABE learners.

http://www.nimblefingers.com/

Traci Pederson
by Traci Pederson - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 11:57 AM

www.baycongroup.com

(Beginnning Word, Beginning Excel, Beginning Windows 98, Beginning and Intermdediate Paint Shop Pro, Macromedia Flash)

Traci Pederson
by Traci Pederson - Wednesday, 22 April 2009, 4:17 PM

When I downloaded the program to use nimmblefingers with students a couple months ago we found out today that you need to buy a membership for $24.99 to continue on with the program.  It is a great program, but I don't know if it is $24.99 good. 

Traci Pederson
by Traci Pederson - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 12:07 PM

Another on-line Typing tutorial is:

www.learn2type.com

Susan WB
by Susan Wetenkamp-Brandt - Monday, 6 April 2009, 10:08 AM

In the workshop, someone (sorry, I didn't catch your name!) recommended "Ten Thumbs" typing tutor software.

That program and several others (such as one I like, called "Typing Master Pro") can be downloaded from www.download.com - just search for "typing tutor".  There are free trial versions available.