Reading & Writing Collective Intelligence Group

Reading /Writing

Picture of Rose Anderson
Reading /Writing
by Rose Anderson - Tuesday, 31 March 2009, 10:04 AM

Our discussion group consisted of four members. We started the dicussion with: What is the goal of your program?

The group members like the Star program. It gets the students ready to read more and makes them more relaxed.

What reading material has worked out best in your classrooms?

The TABE materials are a favorite. Steck Vaughn was also listed as very good resources. The Break-through by New Reader's Press was highly recommendedby Allen from Cass Lake.

What stategy do you keep going back to?

Everyone liked one-to-one lessons if possible.Diane has a program that has one hour each of teacher led instruction, one hour of computer lessons, and one hour of homework.

What is your biggest problem for next year?

Nobody had a big problem for next year. One "problem" was getting rid of books that are in our closets and are not currently being used. We suggested a book share at the summer intensive, but that may take away from our vendors.

What issues have we finished discussing?

We all agreed we need to push reading and writing to get students comfortable and able to understand what they have read.
Traci Pederson
Re: Reading /Writing
by Traci Pederson - Monday, 6 April 2009, 8:43 PM

I like the idea that we bring books or curriculum to share or possibly trade. I also like the thought of teachers bringing in their favorite curriculum to share at the teacher break out sessions at regionals. 

Traci Pederson
Re: Reading /Writing
by Traci Pederson - Wednesday, 8 April 2009, 11:01 AM

We had experienced this at the ESL Workshop @ Hamline University a couple years ago. The hour long session contained curriculum from all the different resources.  They had GED on one table, ESL and the different levels and each of the tables, citizenship, and so forth.  It was a wonderful session where I learned that there was more out there to use than what was in my cupboards in my classroom. big grin I was very thankful that opportunity and went home with wonderful ideas in new curriculum.