Reading Discussion Group

Working with Young Adults in College Transition Programs

Picture of Tracy Chase
Working with Young Adults in College Transition Programs
by Tracy Chase - Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 8:20 AM

How similar in nature has your transition programs been to the ones mentioned in the  article?  Have you dealt with many of the same issues and if so, what is your words of wisdom to those of us who haven't had the same experiences?
Picture of Laura Prettyman
Re: Working with Young Adults in College Transition Programs
by Laura Prettyman - Sunday, 4 April 2010, 12:10 PM

Hi, Tracy!

I haven't had a big class or students all working towards transitions, but I regularly have two or three working together. So far, they have all been GED grads in their late twenties.

Like the older students discussed in the article, I often feel like my students are very concerned about their grades, which is good! The first semester or so, they really need a lot of encouragement because they aren't sure they have what it takes. For some of them, college is something they never thought they'd be capable of. I feel like I spend a lot of time saying, "You can do this! I believe in you!" : )

I think a lot of ABE learners entering college lack the time management skills to be successful. I've helped most of my students come up with some kind of study schedule. I'm working with one woman right now who often shows up at the classroom and says, "I don't actually need your help with anything, but I know if I come here, I'll do my work but if I'll procrastinate at home!"

What did you think of the program that used text messaging to contact absent students?

Picture of Jill Carlson
by Jill Carlson - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 11:10 AM

I have students who have formed bonds in my classroom who use  texting as a way to get their peers in if they are absent.  So, if one is gone, they are called and do show up.. If the peers they have in their home surroundings are not supportive, then having their peers, with the same acedemic goals be supportive is a great thing.
Picture of Sandy Evensen
by Sandy Evensen - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 10:36 AM

I have to say I enjoyed the article because it describes very well the differences between young and nontraditional students.  There are exceptions of course.  It is interesting...I ran into a former student yesterday, a "mature" learner.  He is on campus for the first time and very distracted and disappointed with what he perceives as the lack of committment and discipline in young  college students.  Words of wisdom - young or old, people are still individuals and you have to work with them that way.   
Picture of Laura Prettyman
by Laura Prettyman - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 3:28 PM

That's interesting, Sandy. My younger sisters are both attending community college for the first time. They are about ten years apart in age. The older of the two often mentions to me that she is surprised by how casually the younger students take their studies!