Reading Discussion Group

Rethinking Acedemic Failure to Promote Success

Picture of Laura Prettyman
Rethinking Acedemic Failure to Promote Success
by Laura Prettyman - Sunday, 4 April 2010, 12:32 PM

This was such an interesting article to me. I think the psychology side of education is fascinating.

Do you spend much time with students discussing reasons for their successes or failures in class? If so, what sort of things do you talk about? How do you motivate a student to change his or her outlook to help achieve a better test score next time?

Picture of Jill Carlson
Re: Rethinking Acedemic Failure to Promote Success
by Jill Carlson - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 11:32 AM

I spend a majority of my time telling my students how smart they are. When they take a GED practice test, I will correct it, and give them a score, and then let them try again.. More often then not, they do MUCH better.. telling me that they wanted to choose this or that answer but didn't. I then show them that they know this stuff and that they need to have more confidence. 

I also make my opinion one of value.  I tell them that the state of Minnesota thinks that a 410 is passing, and that the 450 over all average is acceptable, but that I don't want them to test unless I see 500's across the board... and when someone gets over a 500 on a test, most everyone in the class hears about it.. and they also then receive praise from each other...

I tell them, I will NOT send you to test if I don't think your ready. If I say you are ready, then I have confidence in you that you will pass.  This helps them build confidence, which is what many of them need. 

Picture of Sandy Evensen
by Sandy Evensen - Wednesday, 7 April 2010, 11:45 AM

Well, I recently spent time with a gal who was convinced she had a learning disability. I think she had lack of exposure and instruction because of a language barrier. Just hearing that seemed to give her a huge boost and she is working very hard reviewing things she learned years ago and learning new skills also. She has much more confidence now.
Picture of Tracy Chase
by Tracy Chase - Monday, 12 April 2010, 8:48 AM

Isn't it amazing what a little confidence will do for a person.  Also, I am wondering if this young lady was told she had a learning disability?? 
Picture of Sandy Evensen
by Sandy Evensen - Monday, 12 April 2010, 1:36 PM

I don't know whether she was told that or not but she believed it.  She has told me several times that her dad has his Masters in math and she didn't know what had happened with her math skills.  Today she started working on fractions and as she was reading realized she was thinking in Spanish rather than English again.  Now she knows she just needs more English vocabulary, she already has the concepts.  S

She is a sharp gal but post-secondary will be difficult for her a because of her vocabulary.  She has good English speaking skills for verbal communication but her knowledge of the language is no doubt far below the level of a college textbook.