Reading Discussion Group

Working with Young Adults in Transition to College programs

Picture of Sandy Evensen
Working with Young Adults in Transition to College programs
by Sandy Evensen - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 10:16 AM

I'm posing several questions from Working with Young Adults in College Transition Programs.  1. The first paragraph of the article mentions the positive characteristics of being more familiar with technology and higher self-efficacy with young students compared to older adults.  What is your reaction to this idea? 

2. The article mentioned couunseling needs of the younger students.  How would you address the high absenteeism and other barriers exhibited by young students? 

3. What advantages and disadvantages have you observed from working with mixed age students in your classroom?   

Picture of Jill Carlson
Re: Working with Young Adults in Transition to College programs
by Jill Carlson - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 11:22 AM

I am going to touch on the 2nd question.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but I was that student.  I did everything in High School with little effort. I went onto college (2 months after turning 18) and had never had freedom like I had in this setting.  I went WILD.  Having  someone to answer to could have made all the difference in the world.  My parents were dealing with their own problems and didn't hold me accountable. I had never been held accountable for anything before this so there was mad fun happening in my life.  I also think that 18 can be too young for many of OUR students to be in a away from home type college atmosphere.  If they stick to community colleges where they can stay at home and not have to deal with "life" while they are transitioning.. I think that would be a great thing.

Picture of Laura Prettyman
by Laura Prettyman - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 3:34 PM
I agree, Jill! I didn't go wild, but it would've been nice to have someone to touch base with and keep me on track. My advisor was horrible, and it would've been helpful to have someone to go to for guidance.
Picture of Tracy Chase
by Tracy Chase - Monday, 12 April 2010, 8:53 AM

I was very fortunate to have an advisor who was the wife of the Dean of Education.  My advisor, Joye Norris, was fantastic.  She went to bat for me several times.  I guess it pays to have the right people on your side!!!!  If only our students had that same access....for lack of a better word..... where would they be now!

Picture of Sally Seville
by Sally Seville - Wednesday, 11 May 2011, 8:35 AM

I worked with young adults and adults at an ALC for 24 years, and during that time I found that the majority of those students who had either someone on staff at the ALC or a relative or friend as a mentor were more likely to finish their high school diploma or GED and move on to higher education.

I now work with young adults and adults at a technical college in a transition program, and I see the same thing.  I see many of my former students from the ALC who are now in college classes, and I still see the same needs; someone they can turn to when they are unsure of "what to do next", or how to get enrolled in a class, or what to do if they don't understand the course work.  I see many students drop out simply because they don't ask for help or don't know who to ask. 

Many of the young adults in transition have minimal, if any, guidance at home.  The need for mentors, guides, counselors, for young adults and adults in transition is very real, and many times this need is not being met.